The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an International Financial Institution and a Specialized United Nations Agency whose mission is to enable poor rural people to overcome poverty. IFAD’s headquarters is in Rome, Italy, and is present in more than 90 countries to develop and finance programmes and projects aimed at increasing agricultural productivity and incomes. The Policy and Technical Advisory Division (PTA) aims to strengthen the quality of IFAD’s portfolio of country programmes (comprising loans, grants and associated activities) as regards technological, institutional and policy aspects. The Division supports IFAD investment in developing and applying a knowledge base on pro-poor, community-led rural development. This knowledge management provides the basis for PTA’s quality enhancement of the Fund’s programmes and partnership development for rural poverty reduction.
As a Technical Advisor, the incumbent will directly report to the Technical Adviser – Food Security & Nutrition in PTA’s Farming Systems for Food Security (FS2) Unit under the overall strategic and policy guidance of the Director of PTA. The incumbent will also work closely with the staff person seconded to IFAD by IFPRI through the Agriculture for Nutrition and Health programme (A4NH).
Duty Station: Rome HQ
Duration of assignment: 3 years fixed term, co-terminous with the Canadian Supplementary Fund on Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture and Rural Development
Purpose of Position: Planning, implementation and reporting associated with the Canadian Supplementary Fund on Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture and Rural Development; Technological, institutional and operational policy support to staff, field missions and regional programmes at all stages of the country programme
Education and experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Nutrition or Public Health, and strong familiarity with Food Security, Agriculture and Rural Development.
- At least 8 years of professional work with relevant experience in food security, nutrition and rural development.
- Experience in the design, implementation, performance monitoring, and supervision of nutrition-sensitive rural development initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in working as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Familiarity with the key regional and global centres of excellence in relevant professional areas/domains.
Languages and other skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; including the ability to set out a coherent analysis in presentations and group interactions.
- Good working knowledge of French or Spanish.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft packages and electronic communication.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 26 July 2013
For more information about the position and how to apply, click here.